Are you planning to purchase an air filter? If yes, then you must keep several factors at the back of your mind before getting one. To begin with, it is important to understand that there are different types of air filters available in the market, and each of them is designed for a specific purpose. In this article, discover how to choose the best custom air filter.
Tips for Choosing the Right Air Filter
Size & Model: One of the first things that you need to bear in mind is that the size of the air filter should be such that it fits within the air system as well as the model. Remember, choosing the wrong filter size will result in a loss of money. Therefore, it is important to know about the size of the filter.
Usually, all air filters come with the size mentioned on their sides; however, at times this measurement is mentioned in round number. This means that some filters are either undercut by almost half an inch of its actual size. Hence, it is always a good idea to measure and tape the width, height as well as the depth of the air filter before you purchase one. Apart from this, also check the model of the filter. This will help you to choose the right air filter for your air system.
- Aftermarket or Original: Some air filters are manufactured & designed by specific companies to fit the brand’s specific models. They are referred to as the original filters. On the other hand, aftermarket filters are manufactured & created by other brands to fit filters from other companies. An aftermarket filter usually costs less than the original filter but is similar in terms of design & quality.
- The Quality of Home Air: Another factor that you must bear in mind at the time of buying an air filter is the quality of the air in your home. If you think that the quality of the home air is poor then choose a high-quality filter.
- The Environment Outside: Some houses are tightly insulated and this, in turn, increased the air pollution amount indoors. On the other hand, poor outdoor air ventilation results in the accumulation of air pollutants indoors, which puts additional pressure on the air system.
If you have a family member who smokes or even if you keep pets at home, then obviously you will have a high amount of air pollutants indoors and consequently need a high-quality air filter. Another important aspect that you need to remember is the environment outdoors.
In case you live close to fields or even if you reside in a city, then a higher amount of pollutants will seep into your house along with outdoor air. This is precisely why you must invest in a good quality outdoor air filter.
- Breathing Needs: If you have members at home such as adults or kids who are prone to asthma, allergies, bronchitis, lung problems and sinus, then you require a high-quality filter since indoor air pollution can trigger these conditions.
Which Filter is Best for Your Home?
Well, there are different types of filters available in the market and the one that is ideal for you would depend on your preference and requirements.
Some of the common types of air filters that you can consider buying include:
- HEPA filters
- Carbon filters
- Electronic filters
- Fiberglass Filters
- Pleated Air Filters
- Disposable Electrostatic Filters
- Washable Electrostatic Filters
In case you have breathing problems such as allergies or asthma, then you require a HEPA air filter or an electrostatic filter. Such filters are designed to get rid of microscopic allergens such as mold spores, dust mites, debris, pet dander, tobacco smoke, bacteria, and pollen grains.
Also, electronic filters are capable of trapping a wide variety of microscopic particles. However, they are not used extensively. Besides, some of the models produce ozone. On the other hand, if there is a problem with odor in your house, then it is advisable to invest in a carbon air filter. Such filters are crafted to minimize odors, chemicals, and gaseous vapors.
The Performance of the Air Filter
After you have decided which type of air filter you would use, you must consider the air filter’s performance next. This means you must find out
- How the filter is rated?
- The kind of particulate it is capable of removing
- Its efficiency level.
While some filters come with a MERV rating, others come with a CADR. These ratings can be used for determining the filter’s performance and overall quality. While, MERV stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, and is provided by ASHRAE in the U.S. CADR, on the other hand, stands for Clean Air Delivery Rate, and is used for determining the filter’s performance.
Also, if you are planning to purchase a HEPA air filter, then it is important to know that they can be easily rated. All HEPA air filters are mostly 99.97percent capable of eliminating the microscopic particles of the size of 0.3 microns. These filters are very efficient and ideal for commercial, industrial and industrial use. They offer satisfactory results for people with breathing issues.
The Cost & Replacement of Filter
At the time of selecting an air filter, you must also take the cost of buying and replacing the air filter. Typically, a high-quality air filter cost depends on the type of filter you opt for. Apart from this, the cost will also vary in accordance with the filter’s size and whether the filter is an aftermarket or original air filter. In addition to this, if the rating of the air filter is high or the size is large, then it would be slightly expensive as opposed to the regular filters.
Apart from the above factors, the replacement cost of the filter must also be taken into consideration when choosing one. While some filters are designed to function for many years, most of the air filters last for around 3-5 months. Also, you must replace your air filter for optimal performance.
If you are looking for the best quality filters, then shop for top-rated air filters at the FilterBuy!