How many hours do you sleep in a day? If it is less than 8 hours then you should definitely change your sleeping habit. Sleeping for at least 8 to 9 hours is very much essential for a person to stay healthy.
# Reasons to get enough sleep daily
- Getting enough sleep can actually help you in many ways. On the other hand, if you have a sleep problem then your health may be at risk. Besides, studies have shown that there is a correlation between insufficient sleep and cardiovascular problems. In fact, sleep deprivation can develop the risk for cardiovascular problems and type-II diabetes. Hence, you should make sure that you get enough sleep to avoid health problems.
- There are many people who don’t know that sleeping can burn calories in their body. In fact, the better you sleep the more calories will be burnt in your body. Lack of sleep can cause weight gain problems.
- Better sleep can actually boost your performance by 25% to 35%. Taking a short nap for about 1 hour two or three times in a day can also help you to improve your concentration and performance.
- Better sleep can actually make your immune system strong. Get enough sleep everyday to strengthen your immune system. Sleep deprivation can actually make your immune system very weak due to which you may fall sick often.
- Better sleep can also improve your brain functioning as well. Remember, lack of sleep can affect your mood and memory power. Hence, you should get enough sleep daily to improve your memory power.
- There is a correlation between sleep and looks. Sleep deprivation can actually make your skin look dull. It can also cause wrinkles on your skin. Hair fall can also be a result of sleep deprivation. In fact, the better you sleep, the better your skin and hair will look.
- Sleep can also reduce your stress levels. In fact, you can stay energetic throughout your day by getting enough sleep daily.
- Lack of sleep can cause hormone imbalance problems.
- If you are suffering with body or joint pain then make sure that you get enough sleep. Getting enough sleep daily can reduce your body and joint pain.
How can I improve my sleep?
Check the following tips to know how to improve your sleep quality.
- Avoid Caffeine – Having caffeinated products 4 to 5 hours before your bedtime can cause sleep problems. In fact, having caffeinated products can decrease your sleep quality. Besides, some of the products which may contain caffeine include cola, chocolates, coffee, pain relievers, etc.
- Sleeping Environment – A dark, cool and quiet environment is very much essential to have a better sleep. Avoid placing the electronic items like refrigerators, television and etc in your bedroom to have sound sleep. Use blackout shades or heavy curtains to block the light and have a quality sleep. Using a comfortable mattress and pillows is also extremely important to improve your sleep quality.
One important thing which you should remember here is most of the mattresses generally wear out after 10 years. Hence, you have to replace your mattress at least once every 9 to 10 years to avoid sleep problems.
- Tiredness – Going to bed when you are truly tired can help you have a sound sleep. Listen to some pleasant music or read books to fall asleep quickly.
- Don’t be a clock-watcher at nighttime – There are a lot of people who wake up several times during their sleep to check time. If you have the same habit then you should stop doing it immediately to help your body get enough sleep. Keep away the mobile phones and clocks from your bedroom to avoid this problem. The radiations from your mobile phone can affect your brain function. Hence, you should avoid keeping your mobile beside you while sleeping.
- Don’t change your sleep routine – Most of the people working in corporate companies generally face sleep problems because of rotational shifts. Try to keep a consistent sleep schedule.
- Take short naps – Late day naps can actually cause sleep problems. In fact, it is better to avoid taking short naps after 5pm. Take short naps in between 12 pm to 5 pm to reduce your stress levels.
- Don’t take heavy meals during the evening – You should avoid taking heavy meals during evening to avoid sleep problems. In fact, you should take light meals during the evening to have a sound sleep at night. Remember, having too much spicy and oily food can also cause sleep problems. Try to include more fresh fruits in your diet to stay healthy and improve your sleep quality.
- Don’t let your pets sleep beside you – Almost 30% of the pet owners in the US wake up at least once during their sleep daily. The main reason behind this is slowing their pets to sleep beside them. Dogs especially bark a lot during night,disrupting your sleep. Hence, you should not let your pets sleep beside you to have a sound sleep.
Your health will also be at risk by allowing your pets to sleep beside you. We all know that dogs get dirty very quickly by playing in your backyard and other places. They may also be infected with different parasites as well. Hence, you should be very careful and clean your pets at least twice daily to prevent infection when they sleep beside you. Your pets may also spoil your bed with the dirt on their body. Letting your pets sleep with you on bed can spoil your relationship with your partner.
If you still feel comforted with your pet sleeping next to you, then you must use the right mattresses. Check out information on mattresses for hot sleepers if you feel too warm while sleeping with your furry friend. That will help you in getting good sleep without feeling any kind of discomfort.
- Choose the right mattress – Each and every person living in this world has their own requirements. Some people may feel comfortable with a memory foam mattress while some feel comfortable with a latex foam mattress. Do your research about the different types of mattresses and choose the best mattress for you to have a better sleep.
- Choose the right type of bed – There are different types of beds available on the market which can enhance your sleep quality. Some of the popular beds which can enhance your sleep include adjustable beds, waterbeds and air beds. Besides, there are many stores online which are offering different types of beds at a very affordable price. Hence, you could visit one of them today to buy a bed of your choice.
Use clean bed sheets and pillow covers – Make sure that you clean your bed sheets and pillow covers at least once in a week to improve your sleep quality. Remember that, using the same old, dirty bed sheets and pillow covers can make you feel uncomfortable with their odor.