Concrete is a material used in the construction of the interior as well as exterior architecture. It is sturdy material made combined with various chemicals and minerals that help in construction. These concrete structures are open to external factors that affect the sturdiness of concrete and lower their lifespan.
To increase the lifespan of your architectural structures made of concrete, you can use the concrete sealers. Ever heard of what they are and how useful they become in increasing the lifespan of concrete surfaces? Let’s have a look into what are concrete sealers.
Types of concrete surfaces:
You can find various types of concrete finishes that differ in appearance. The application or installation of varied concrete surfaces depends on the location, budget, and personal taste of every person.
Below you can find the basic aggregations of concrete surfaces and select the one most suitable for your choice.
- Slick Troweled Concrete Surface:
This concrete surface is created with a trowel or machine that the cement mason uses to close the surface area.
- Broom Finished Concrete Surface:
Broom finishes concrete surface is the same as slick troweled surface. Just the difference between both is that a broom is used to close the surface area of concrete. It makes some rough texture on the surface.
- Exposed Aggregate Concrete Surface:
Exposed aggregate concrete is named from the use itself, which means it is exposed to surroundings. It is made by removing the upper layer of concrete and making a rough surface to avoid slippery surfaces.
- Stamped Concrete Surface:
The stamped concrete surface is a textured surface made of bricks or stones arranged to form a particular pattern.
Concrete sealers are thick liquid materials used on concrete to make them resistant to chemical intrusions, water absorption, and corrosion. If the concrete surfaces are not sealed with concrete paver sealer wet look, then the elements such as water, air, and chemicals may destroy their appearance and make them look vulnerable.
To increase the lifespan of concrete surfaces, you need to seal them with concrete sealers. The concrete sealers fit into porous concrete surfaces and make the whole concrete as a single sturdy substance. It makes the concrete floors resistant to deicing salts, chemicals, changing weather conditions, and water absorption.
Features of concrete sealers:
It is essential to look for the characteristics of a sealer before buying it. You should know which concrete sealer has better properties that will be affordable to use.
To have better and crisp information about some of the best features to look at while buying a concrete sealer are as follows:
- It should be able to dry quickly after you apply it on the surface.
- It should be easy to apply.
- If you want to retain the concrete’s color, then look for penetrating concrete sealers.
- It should be long-lasting and durable with less maintenance.
- It should be dust and scratch-resistant.
- It should be odorless and look better after application on the surface.
- It should be resistant to water and chemical intrusions.
How can you seal the concrete surfaces with concrete sealers?
You can seal the concrete by buying a concrete sealer specific to your floor. You can find concrete sealers online at some of the famous concrete sealer providers, such as Seal with Ease.
Once you have bought the sealer, you need to follow some necessary steps while applying the sealer on concrete floors.
- Clean the concrete floor entirely without keeping any dust particles on the surface.
- Dry the surface properly.
- Make sure to apply the sealers in the afternoon.
- The best temperature for applying the concrete sealers is 45-84 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Try applying on a small portion in the beginning to see the adhesion of concrete sealer with the surface.
- Apply the sealer with thin coats and avoid rolling over the surface again and again.
- You can apply 2-3 coats of the sealer on the surface, which are enough for the protection of concrete.
- Apply the water-based sealer with a roller for better results.
- If it is a solvent-based sealer, then use a spray to apply it on the surface.
- If you are applying on an uneven surface such as stamped concrete, then try to apply the sealer in thin coatings to avoid its logging into joints.
Types of concrete sealers that help in improving the lifespan of your architecture:
It is necessary to find the right concrete sealer for protecting your concretes. You can find concrete sealers for each type of floor. Some of them have stamped concrete surfaces installed for beautifying the patios, paver driveway, aggregated walkway, or pool decks. While some of them may have the acid-stained floor or normal concrete surfaces installed in homes. Each of these floors requires different sealers based on their properties and contact with external elements.
Sealing the concrete is inexpensive and mandatory to increase the lifespan of floors. Also, you need to maintain them and clean at timely intervals to avoid extra efforts at a later stage.
We will have a look at some of the concrete sealers and their properties to find the best suitable one as per floor type.
- Penetrating Concrete Sealers:
As the name suggests, penetrating sealers do penetrate the concrete floors and form a barrier inside the concrete. They protect the concrete from water absorption, deicing salts, and chemical intrusions.
If you have a plain concrete surface and you don’t want to change the texture or color of the floor, you can opt for penetrating sealers. It allows the vapors to evaporate and makes the concrete floor breathable.
- Decorative Coatings:
Decorative coatings are suitable for both interior and exterior architectures. They modify the texture and color of the concrete floor living a glossy finish. You can use them for the countertops in the kitchen or acid-stained floor to enhance their appearance. If you expose the floor to deicing salt, then you need to reapply the decorative sealer every year ahead to maintain it.
- Durable Coatings:
Durable coating leaves a glossy finish by forming a chemical resistant coating on the surface of concrete floors. You can find them in many colors that are suitable to suffice the needs of colorful themed interiors. Durable coatings turn yellowish if exposed to UV rays. Hence, it is better to use them for interior coatings only.
With this article, we hope that you are now aware of the concrete sealers and how they can improve the lifespan of your architectures. Do seal your concrete floor and maintain them over time for keeping them in good condition.