There are so many different types of light fixtures, which can make it difficult to know what the perfect choice is. You might be overwhelmed by all of the options that are available. It can be helpful to narrow your search to what you are looking for in a light fixture. Deciding on a particular type of lighting, such as ceiling lights, can help you to find exactly what you want to add to your room.
There are specific steps that you can take to ensure that you choose the right light for your needs and for the style of your home. Here’s everything you need to know about choosing the perfect ceiling light fixture for your home.
Choose a Style
Before you go shopping, you should choose the style you’d like to adhere to. This might be the style you already have in your home. If you are in the process of remodeling your home, you might be changing the style. No matter where you’re at, you should choose a style. From there, you can choose the light fixture that matches that style.
If you’re trying to achieve an elegant style, you should look for crystal flush mount light fixtures. If you want something more modern, look for unique shapes, clean lines, and grays or blacks.
Select a Type of Light Fixture
If you have not shopped for ceiling light fixtures before, you may not know exactly what you’re looking for. Even if you have purchased light fixtures in the past, it can be helpful to know all of your options. It’s a good idea to have a plan as to what type of light fixture you’re looking for. Here are some of the options you might find.
- Chandeliers. Chandeliers are often used in elegant spaces, such as dining rooms and foyers. Depending on the style of the chandelier, they can even be used in children’s rooms or master bathrooms.
- Flush mounts lighting. Flush mounts are light fixtures that are flush against the ceiling. They provide ambient lighting. They are available in a variety of styles.
- Semi-flush mounts lighting. Similar to flush mounts lighting, semi-flush mounts lighting can be found in a range of styles. The main difference is that the fixture is not flush against the ceiling.
Find the Right Size
Ceiling lights can be placed in all types of room—no matter how big or small the room may be. Ceiling lights are versatile and work in a variety of spaces. It’s important to pay attention to the size of the light fixture in comparison with the size of the space. If you are hanging a ceiling light in a large room, you should make sure that you are getting a large ceiling light. If you are hanging several ceiling lights in a hallway, you can hang a few small lights. Ceiling lights above a desk or another small space should be fairly small.
If you hang a large light in a small space, the space will look even smaller. Also, the light will likely give off too much light. If you hang a small light in a large space, the small light will look tiny and out of place. Plus, it will not be big enough to provide ample light.
Before you begin shopping, decide exactly where you want to hang the light. Then, you can look for a light that fits that space perfectly.
Consider Additional Accessories
There are accessories you can add on to your ceiling lighting. These can give you additional benefits and make your lighting even more versatile.
- Dimmers. Dimmers are nice because you can choose how dark or light you would like the room to be. You can set the mood with dimmers. Depending on the purpose of the room and the situation, you might want to make the room brighter or make it darker. This also helps to make your bulbs last longer.
- Light bulbs. Your ceiling light will need light bulbs no matter what type of light it is. Some lights need specific types of bulbs. In other cases, you can choose the type of bulb you would like to use. You can have some control over how bright the room is. You might also choose a specific style of bulbs, such as Edison bulbs. Explore your light bulb options before simply choosing the least expensive or brightest choice.
- Ceiling fans. One of your options is a ceiling fan. This has a dual purpose of keeping the room cool while providing light. Keep in mind that you will have fewer color and style options if you choose a ceiling fan. This is a personal decision so consider your own needs and wants in your ceiling lighting.
Hanging the Ceiling Light Fixture
There are different guidelines for hanging ceiling lights depending on the room.
If you are hanging a light in a bedroom table lamp sets, living room, or entryway, you should leave seven feet between the floor and the bottom of the fixture. This gives people plenty of space to walk under the light. If your ceilings are only eight feet tall, you might use a flush mount light.
In bathrooms, you should leave eight feet between the bottom of the fixture and the top of the tub. In small bathrooms, you can use a small chandelier or light fixture. You could also hang the light fixture further away from the tub and still stick to the seven-foot rule mentioned before.
As you shop for light fixtures, it is important to keep these things in mind. You can make sure that the light fixture you are buying will work with the rules listed.
There are many different types of ceiling light fixtures available. As you shop, it can be easy to get overwhelmed. You may not know exactly what you want in a light fixture. It’s important to follow these guidelines to ensure you get the right lighting for your needs. You will be able to find just the right lighting for style and function in your home.