Garage and Shed Designs
How to Choose a Garage Door
It’s great if you turn your house into a DIY project. This means that you can save a lot since you won’t need to spend money on hiring workers to work on your home. Installation and replacement of a garage door is another story. Garage door installation and garage door replacement are highly technical because a garage door has a lot of parts and it is large and heavy. Proper installation is critical and connecting the springs can be dangerous. The heavy weight of a garage door can cause accidents if it is not installed correctly and the springs and other parts are not connected properly. While it’s true that you can save hundreds of dollars for labor, safety should be your top most priority. Besides, if you do the installation yourself, it could take several hours for you to finish this project alone.
Choosing a Garage Door
Homeowners usually have garage doors installed for different purposes such as for added security, to maximize space, and for aesthetic reasons. A garage door adds value to your home and can contribute to the overall appearance of your home.
Shopping for a garage door can be quite daunting especially if you don’t have any idea what to get. Here are the factors that you need to consider when looking for a garage door:
Garage doors can be made of different materials such as wood, steel, aluminum, glass, or vinyl. To determine the material for your garage door, you have to know the pros and cons of each type of garage door.
- Wood: Wood garage doors are the most elegant and classic of them all. Wood adds to the curb appeal of your home. It is a durable material. The only downside to it is that it requires regular maintenance. It requires staining or painting every couple of years.
- Steel: Steel garage doors are extremely durable that’s why they are the most popular choice. They have a high thermal efficiency and they last a long time and they can withstand harsh elements such as typhoon, strong winds, etc. There are also a variety of styles, finishes, and colors for this type of material. Steel is low maintenance compared to wood. The downside to it is that it can rust if it is dented or scratched.
- Aluminum: Aluminum garage doors have a more modern setting and make the garage brighter. They are usually made of aluminum frames and glass panels which gives you a variety of designs, styles, and colors. They are lightweight and are therefore easier to operate manually. They are also rustproof which is ideal for humid or salty environments. They don’t require maintenance but they don’t have as much insulation compared to other garage door materials that’s why they aren’t ideal for places that have extreme temperatures. They also dent easily.
- Glass: Glass garage doors are aesthetically appealing just like wood garage doors but require less maintenance. They allow the garage to get natural lighting during the day and a beautiful glow at night.
- Vinyl: Vinyl garage doors can last longer. They are low maintenance and can withstand places with a lot of moisture. They are also rust-free and are more resistant to dents.
Appearance is usually the top priority in choosing a garage door. The garage door takes up a significant amount of space in your home’s exterior. It therefore gives the home a certain character and it leaves an impression to passersby.
In choosing the design and style of your garage door, it should match the architecture of your house. Also choose a style that enhances the curb appeal of your house. The color should complement your home’s exterior. The color can match either the trim, shutters, or siding on your house.
There are two types of garage door insulation: foamed-in-place polyurethane and polystyrene. Garage doors with polyurethane have better thermal property allowing them to lessen outside noise and operate quietly. They are also stronger and better insulated. Garage doors with polystyrene come in sheets and are therefore thicker but have less thermal property.
The general rule is that the garage door should cost at least 1% of your home’s value. You should think twice in spending for a garage door because it’s a once in a lifetime event or at least you won’t be making another purchase for so many years plus it’s a good investment because it adds value to your home especially if you decide to sell your home.
Choosing a Professional Technician
As mentioned earlier, doing a garage door installation and replacement should be done by professionals. Professional technicians or garage door installers can finish the installation in just a few hours and can do it properly making sure that they meet the safety requirements. Aside from this, they can also help you get rid of your old garage door if you are planning to replace it.
Amarr is a trusted brand when it comes to garage doors. What’s great about them is that they provide a dealer locator on their website where you can find garage door installers in your area. Simply enter your zip code and it will give you a list of the garage door installers in your area including the address, contact number, and the services that they provide. You can also type your location + garage door installation. For example, if you live in Maryland, you can simply enter “Maryland garage door installation”.
In choosing a garage door installer, ask for recommendations from friends or check online reviews. Check if they have certifications and ask if they have insurance, warranties, and references.