We rely on our air conditioners year round to cool and heat our homes, but many of us neglect to look after them. Servicing your air conditioner is the best way to ensure it keeps working efficiently for as long as possible. If it’s been a while since you had your air conditioner looked at, it’s probably time to book in a checkup!
Does a house air con need servicing?
If your air con is not working properly, making strange noises or leaking of course you should get it looked at. But what if it’s running fine? Just like you service your car regularly to keep it in top shape, your air con should be serviced too. Even if nothing seems wrong, a regular air conditioner service mandurah can prevent major issues and costly repairs later on. It also makes sure your air con is running efficiently and not eating up more energy than it should be.
How often should you service your air conditioner?
Generally, you should aim to have your air con serviced once a year. If you’re wanting it to be in top shape for summer, it’s a good idea to have it looked at by an expert in spring. You should service your air con more often if it’s not working correctly or if you use it very frequently.
Signs that you need to call an expert in ASAP include:
- Strange noises and smells – air conditioners should operate quietly and without any odours. If you notice any strange smells or excessive noise, there could be an issue.
- Reduced air flow – blockages inside your air conditioning unit can cause less air to come out. Blockages can lead to other major internal problems, so you should get it checked out straight away.
- Leaks or excess moisture – leakages and excess moisture can indicate an internal issue. Left untreated, they can lead to the growth of mould and unhealthy air quality.
- Warm air when you are trying to cool – if your air conditioner is putting out warm air when you’re trying to cool your home down, it could mean low refrigerant levels or a faulty compressor. You should get this looked at asap.
- High energy bills – issues inside your air con can lead to inefficient performance. The result is higher energy consumption and higher energy bills. A service can help improve your air con’s efficiency.
What can you do to look after your air conditioner?
An air conditioner service will cover a wide range of checks and minor fixes. In between services, there are things you can do to help keep your air con in top shape yourself. These include:
Changing the Air Filter
Simply take out the old filter and insert a new one. Your air con’s manufacturer instructions will help you select the correct filter size and guide you through how to change it. Air filters should be changed every 3-6 months to ensure a good level of air quality.
2. Cleaning Your Unit
Wipe down your indoor unit, paying special attention to the vents where the air blows out of. On the outdoor unit, remove any twigs, dust and dirt. You can use a water and bleach mixture to flush out the drains and prevent mould growth.
3. Monitoring Performance
Keep an eye on how your air conditioner is performing. Is it heating or cooling your room? Is it running quietly? Also monitor your energy consumption. Without regular servicing, air conditioners can become inefficient and end up costing you more.
Benefits of Regular Inspection and Maintenance
Many people don’t actually realise the importance of a regular air conditioner service. Here are some of the benefits:
1. More Efficient Heating and Cooling
You want your air con to do what it was designed to, i.e. cool and heat your home effectively. Over time, general wear and tear, dust and grime can decrease its efficiency. A service ensures all parts are cleaned up, repaired or replaced as necessary. The result is an air con that continues to do its job well.
2. Reduced Energy Consumption
Without regular servicing, air conditioners can become less efficient. This means they take more energy to heat or cool a room. However, regular servicing will ensure your air con is energy efficient which is great for both the environment and your wallet!
3. Breakdown Prevention
By fixing small issues and replacing worn parts in your air conditioner, you can prevent a major breakdown. Breakdowns can be costly and time consuming to repair. The best way to avoid them is regular check ups.
4. Increased Life of Air Con
How do you keep your air con working for as long as possible? Regular servicing! It can significantly increase the lifespan of your air con. The little checks, replacements and repairs all add up to keep your air con healthy and efficient for longer.
5. Financial Savings
Many people put off getting their air conditioner serviced because it can seem like an unnecessary cost. The reality is, paying for a regular service will save you money in the long run. Your air conditioner will be more efficient, saving on your energy costs. And you’ll prevent costly repairs or major breakdowns which require a completely new unit.
6. Better Air Quality
Dirt, dust and mould can accumulate in your air conditioner, leading to poorer air quality. A regular service ensures that your air conditioner is clean and producing air at a quality that is better for your health.
How much does an air conditioning service cost?
The cost of an air conditioning service will depend on what type of system you have, the extent of the service and whether or not you need parts replaced. A typical call out fee is around $130-$150.
What’s included in an air conditioner service?
A typical air conditioner service and maintenance will include:
- Cleaning and replacing air filters
- Cleaning the evaporator coil and condenser coil
- Cleaning the diffusers
- Flushing the accessible drains
- Checking all components to ensure in top working condition
- Checking the motors and bearings
- Inspecting the wiring
- Checking the thermostat is accurate
- Checking the air con can heat and cool