Although there’s minimal maintenance with artificial grass – compared to real grass – there’s still some minimal upkeep work that you can do throughout the year to keep it looking fantastic regardless of the season, climate or weather. The tips that we will go through in the article are crucial for improving the longevity of your fake turf and getting the most out of it.
Once your newly laid fake turf is in place, we recommend giving it at least a week for it to properly settle and adjust. However, after this, it can be a good idea to use a natural bristle brush to keep it in the best possible condition. By brushing over it in various directions, this will help to keep the surface upright and aesthetically pleasing. It can often seem like brushing over it doesn’t really have an affect but doing this every few months can really help maintain your fake grass surface with minimal effort.
Artificial grass is a recommended alternative to real grass due to the minimal work having to maintain it. Fake grass has a membrane backing which means it’s highly unlikely for weeds and debris to grow.
However, occasionally, the aggressive nature of weeds can grow through the existing surface. This is obviously no where near as hard to manage as real grass where weeds growing excessively. However, if the odd weed or two does appear there’s an easy way to combat this problem.
The simplest way to solve this problem is by using a water-based weed killer or by trimming the top of the weeds or debris growing through your surface. It’s also important to get rid of excess leaves on the surface.
Possibly the only drawback of artificial grass is the staining that it can cause. Especially in the summer months, when you are spending most days on your artificial grass enjoying the sun, it’s likely that you could potentially spill something and stain your turf. However, don’t panic too much if this happens. There are simple ways to remove the stains and get your artificial grass back in pristine condition.
You can follow our advisable steps below and act quickly:
- Be proactive – move to remove any spillage before it gets worse.
- Soak up freshly stained liquids with a damp cloth.
- If there’s still stains after an hour, we advise you to use a bristled brush and dip it into a mix of fairy liquid and warm water. Keep on brushing until it eventually gets removed.
Keep External Source of Heat at Bay
One of the biggest threats to newly furbished artificial grass is the external sources of heat. It’s highly advisable to keep any external sources of heat well away from your fake turf. This is because it can cause your grass to slightly melt and if effected excessively it can become unrepairable. So, when you’re out this summer and enjoying the sun, just remember to keep the bonfire on your patio and well away from the grass. Furthermore, any cigarettes or fireworks should also be kept strictly away.
Here are a few ‘’do not’’ important points when it comes to Artificial Grass…
- Don’t use any high impacting footwear such as football boots on your fake turf. This can destroy the natural, aesthetic look and flatten the turf.
- Be sure to keep mirrors away from your fake turf as the reflection of the grass and sunlight can result in burning your surface.
- If you have a patio or concrete drive, use that to park up vehicles. Always avoid parking on artificial grass when necessary to help keep it in the best possible condition.
- For stains, always use water-based products and never bleach. Although it’s fake turf, natural products are always the best way forward.
These top tips will help you to maintain your artificial turf steadily throughout the year. It should be noted that it will take minimal maintenance compared to natural grass. However, all these pointers can really help for longevity after aftercare.