If you are refurbishing your home, there are several different factors you need to consider. You should think carefully about your budget; planning this in advance helps to stop you from spending too much money during the project. You also need to think about what furnishings are best suited for your needs. For instance, if you tend to sleep on your front, you may want to do some research, checking out the best mattress for sleeping on your stomach .
Another important factor, when it comes to refurbishing your property is the type of décor that you opt for. One of the most popular choices is contemporary décor.
What is contemporary decor and why is it popular?
Contemporary decor is the style of today. It tends to consist mostly of neutral colours, as well as open plan living and a casual feel. There is a great emphasis on natural products and materials in contemporary décor.
This type of decor is popular because it’s simplistic and it helps to create a relaxed and open atmosphere on a property. Contemporary décor is also popular with home buyers. This means that the selling prospects of a property can be improved if it’s decorated in a contemporary manner.
Choosing contemporary décor for your home does not mean you cannot include some bold colours and designs in furnishings. Doing so can help you put your own personality into the décor, and these furnishings can be swapped and changed, in order to keep the look fresh.
Contemporary Decor Ideas For Your Home
If you like the idea of contemporary décor in your home, here are some ideas to inspire you.
- Stick to furniture which is geometric in shape; avoid curves and ornate design.
- Use black, white or neutral tones for furniture, and opt for natural fibres for upholstery.
- Floors should consist of bare wood, vinyl or tile, with colourful rugs to add an extra zing.
- Consider indirect lighting and use spotlights to highlight specific features, such as wall hanging photographs.
- Keep wall decoration to a minimum. Think one or two eye catching photographs, rather than a wall full of art.
- Use metal, stone or glass for stairs rails, countertops and other household features.
- Plants can be an excellent feature of contemporary décor, as well as being good for your health. Opt for large unfussy blooms and leaves.
These contemporary décor ideas should help to inspire you, if you are refurbishing your home.
Remember that contemporary décor is all about keeping things simple. You should opt for straight and clean lines. Do not clutter your property with lots of small items of furniture and intricately designed pieces of art. Choose big and bold items, in neutral colours. If you want to add a splash of bright colour or design, opt for a piece of art, or furnishings such as lamps, which can be changed over time. Be simple, open and geometric, if you want you choose contemporary décor for your home.