Choose the Best Furnace for Your Home

Winters around the globe can get pretty harsh, especially in colder countries, such as Canada. In order to keep your home warm and comfortable even in the middle of December, you need a good heating unit. Most people decide to use furnaces, as they are cost and energy efficient.

But in order for your furnace to work as it should, proper installation is essential. For this, you will need to search for the right local services in your area. For instance, if you live in Scarborough, one of Toronto’s most popular districts, you should find a reputable furnace installation Scarborough company nearby that offers great installation and maintenance services and will help you choose the right furnace for your home.

But, before you choose the right furnace for your home, learn about the four different types and how they function.

The Four Types of Furnaces

Electric Furnaces

Electric furnaces are often the most affordable to buy of all four and they are also easier to set up and maintain. They can however be very expensive to run because they only use electricity.

An electric furnace is similar to a toaster, or hair dryer. The furnace draws cold air into an exchanger, where it is heated by electric heating elements. The warm air is then pushed through ductwork to your home once it has been heated.

Although an electric furnace is more expensive to run, it produces no carbon monoxide which makes it safer for your family and the environment.

Gas Furnaces

A natural gas furnace is more cost-effective than an electric furnace if you live close to a natural gas line.

Natural gas furnaces work by heating natural gas in the furnace’s burner. The heat from the flames heats up a metal exchanger which then heats the incoming cold air through your home’s ductwork. The blower then pushes the warm air into your home via its ductwork.

A flue pipe is required for the gas to exit your home. To prevent poisonous gases from entering your home, the flue pipe must be inspected at minimum once per year.

While a gas furnace is more expensive than an electric furnace to buy, it’s also less costly to run because it uses natural gas instead of electricity. Because it heats the air in the heat exchange chamber faster, the gas furnace is more powerful than an electrical furnace.

Oil Furnaces

The oil furnace works in the same way that a natural gas furnace. The furnace activates oil from the tank and draws it into a burning chamber. It is not lit directly, but the oil is converted to a mist first, then sprayed onto a flame. Once the flame is lit, the air is drawn into a chamber next to the burner. It is then heated up and sent around the place via ducts and pipes.

Oil burns at higher temperatures than natural gas. This means that an oil stove heats up homes more quickly. Keep in mind that oil furnaces need an oil tank, and normally, they are buried near homes.

Propane Furnaces

Propane furnaces work in the same manner as natural gas ones, but they don’t require a flue pipe. Instead, a direct vent can be installed next to the furnace on one of the exterior walls. This eliminates the need for a flue to be inspected and cleaned regularly.

Propane furnaces, while similar to natural gas furnaces, are still much more efficient. This means that propane furnaces don’t require as much propane to produce the same warmth as natural gas furnaces.

chris-rhoads-XGMF6N-u6rg-unsplash

Know the AFUE Rating On Your Furnace

The AFUE rating is a key factor in determining how efficient your furnace will perform. It is a measure of the furnace’s energy efficiency. This will allow you to choose the right forced-air furnace for your home.

The furnace’s AFUE should indicate how much fuel it can use to produce heat. The percentage can vary from 30% to 100%. For example, a furnace with an AFUE rating of 85% will indicate that 85% of the fuel it uses is being converted into heat. The remaining 15% is lost through insufficient burners or exhaust.

You will get more efficiency if the percentage is higher. So, when you are looking for your furnace, make sure it is on the higher end.

Bottom Line

Choosing the right furnace for your home is a major decision that you need to think carefully about. It will have a significant impact on how warm and comfortable your home is. The best way to decide which furnace is best for you is to consider what kind of heating you need, the size and construction of your home, and the climate zone where you live.

Choose the Best Furnace for Your Home was last modified: by