For many, it can be quite dreadful to clean a bathroom. Others choose to hire a professional home cleaner to get the job done without breaking a sweat.
Unfortunately, you do still need to perform regular light cleaning on the days that the cleaners won’t be stopping by — and the more you avoid cleaning your bathroom, the worse its condition will get.
What if there’s an easy way to keep your bathroom in pristine condition? The secret actually lies in regular cleaning and the right tools and techniques. To prevent your bathroom from becoming a filthy space in your home, here’s how you should tackle the different elements in this room.
Brush the toilet bowl frequently to remove any hard-water deposits and stains, and make sure to include cleaning underneath the rim. Use a sponge soaked in a solution of disinfectant cleanser and hot water to wipe down the toilet seat and the rest of the toilet area.
- Use vinegar and borax to remove stains – The acid from vinegar works wonders in eliminating stains. Simply pour three cups of vinegar to your toilet and scrub away using a brush. The borax powder also works on stains, but you should first turn off the water supply of your tank because you have to leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Clean your toilet brush regularly – Fill up a bucket with hot water then add two to three cups of bleach. Leave your toilet brush in the solution for an hour. Rinse your toilet brush with hot water and it’s ready for use again.
A bathroom mirror can make the world of difference to the visual effect of your bathroom design. There are greater benefits that illuminated bathroom mirrors offer compared to traditional mirrors.
When cleaning mirrors, use a glass cleaner or eight parts water and one part ammonia solution then wipe with a damp and lint-free cloth. You can polish using a microfiber cloth or dry it with a squeegee.
For areas where a mirror tends to fog, use a product that has an anti-mist chemical component.
3. Bathtub and Sink
Bring dramatic look in your bathroom by choosing from Stylish Bathtubs Design. The material of your bathtub and sink will determine how you should clean it. As a general rule, you shouldn’t use abrasive cleaners and use a sponge to clean them with liquid detergent and hot water instead. For stubborn dirt and grime, use extra detergent.
For stains and scratches, follow these tips:
- Acrylic – Use a plastic polish made for this purpose, then buff using a clean cloth, then rinse.
- Solid-Surface Synthetic – Use ultrafine sandpaper to get rid of stubborn stains, then buff with a clean cloth.
- Marble and Stone Surface – Regularly apply a sealer to prevent staining.
- Vitreous or Porcelain Enamel – Apply a solution of chlorine bleach (1/2 cup) in a gallon of water, leave it on for one to two minutes, then rinse.
4. Shower area
To avoid dirt and soap build-up on your shower surfaces, wipe down or use a squeegee on shower doors and walls every time you use the area. You can also make use of a shower cleaning product intended for use after each shower.
For a clogged metal shower head:
- Place your shower head in a pot where there’s a solution of eight parts water and one part vinegar.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
For a clogged plastic shower head:
- Soak the shower head in a solution of equal parts hot water and vinegar.
- Scrub the grout using a toothbrush dipped in a ½ cup and a gallon of water solution.
You can make your faucets sparkle again by removing smears and marks using a soft cloth or a sponge soaked in dishwashing detergent and warm water solution. Dry with a clean, soft cloth to bring back its shine.
To make your chrome shine, using baby oil works, too. Add a few drops to a soft cloth then apply on the surface.
For older faucets:
- Gently eliminate any rust spots with a commercial rust remover or steel wool. Make sure your cleaning product isn’t too abrasive.
- Wash the surface using warm water and mild detergent.
- Dry with a soft cloth.
- Apply a thin coat of solvent-based polyurethane to protect from moisture that may cause further rusting.
Cleaning the bathroom doesn’t have to be a frustrating job. With regular cleaning, you don’t have to deal with hard-to-remove spots and cleaning time doesn’t have to take long. At the same time, you can enjoy a pristine bathroom every time you bathe. However, if cleaning really just isn’t your thing, you can always hire a cleaning service to get the job done for you.
When every part of your house is clean, including your bathroom, it makes you feel happy and excited to come home every day. After all, a home should be a place of comfort and cleanliness, and not one riddled with grime and dirt.
Mohamed Samad is the Founder & CEO of Matic Services. He started the company in 2016 after a series of small start-ups within the home services sector.