With the rapid changing of weather and temperature nowadays, air conditioners are now undoubtedly considered as one of the most essential amenities for comfort and convenience. It might be a luxury for some, but most people treat it as a necessity.
Like any machine, our air conditioners need to be taken care of regularly to run smoothly. Damages or malfunctions happen whether we like them or not.
We often seek help from the nearest local repair shops if we want to have our air conditioning units serviced. When it comes to getting the best and most reasonably priced air conditioning service in Perth, customers go to shops with proud records of delivering just that—shops which pride themselves on providing every customer the type of services that meet their needs. A lot of businesses thrive on their good reputation across the region and try to be the provider of the best air conditioning service in Perth. This means, you have several options but you need to choose carefully.
But hold your horses first. Before you go to a shop and have your air conditioner serviced, there are things you need to know and carefully consider; especially when it’s your first time.
Some routine maintenance can be handled by most consumers, but those that are more complex need professional service.
Frequency of maintenance service
How often should you have your air conditioner serviced? The answer is, it depends. There are several factors to consider, like the age of the unit or the unit’s current condition.
Importance of having maintenance service
Having your air conditioning unit checked or serviced is beneficial in numerous ways. If you want your unit to be fully functional, then you need to make maintenance a habit. We all know that prevention is better than cure, so before any damage gets too serious and complex, avoid it.
It’s normal for old air conditioners to lose a little bit of efficiency, but it can be restored with proper service.
What to do
There are several things consumers can do on their own to ensure their air conditioning units keep running as efficiently as possible all year long. These are some of the simple maintenance tasks you can do:
- You can remove brush and debris near the unit.
- Clean the condenser coils from time to time.
- You can replace any air filters.
- You can check if there are any loose contacts on wired connections.
- You can lubricate bearings and motors.
- You can recharge the refrigerant.
- Clear the condensate drain.
You can also schedule an annual air conditioner maintenance service. It would be better if you do this before the cooling season begins to make sure it is working as efficiently as possible. This allows your unit to be in tip-top working shape and will last longer. Consult air conditioning experts in Perth so they can address issues and prevent minor problems from turning into serious and more problematic ones.
- All internal and external parts should be checked; and tightening of all terminal points should be done as well.
- General cleaning including filter, evaporator and condenser coil units should be done monthly.
- Lubricating, application of anti-rust inhibitor; repainting of tarnished parts with primer and enamel should be done monthly.
- You can resort to an emergency “call-in” which includes provision of a minimum of two technicians to do the check-up.
- You can do basic troubleshooting for loose connections of the thermostat, capacitor, and charging of refrigerant (freon).
- You can do switch rework or corrective work which do not necessarily require parts replacement.
- Create a monthly report on all works undertaken.
Prepare and submit a quarterly status report of the air conditioning unit including findings and recommendations for expert evaluation and action.
Common AC problems
These are some of the tell-tale signs that should prompt you to have your air-conditioning unit serviced:
- The AC unit is dripping or leaking.
- It’s not blowing at full power.
- It switches off on its own randomly.
- It becomes noisier than usual.
- The air flow of the unit is reduced.
- There is a short circuit of power.
- It’s not producing cool air and the fan is not functioning.
- The fan might be working but still is not producing cool air.
Know your air conditioning unit
As mentioned in the previous paragraphs, maintenance depends on what AC unit you have. This is why it’s important to know your AC first before doing maintenance on your own or before going to an HVAC professional. Some of the AC units you might have could be split system units, ductless split systems and packaged air conditioners.
In some shops, prices may vary if you are an existing customer or a new customer. For general services, it may cost you $220-$280. The total cost will be dependent on how many systems you want to be serviced, their damages, and in which shop you’re having them serviced.
Prices also vary depending on the model, type and brand.
Repair or Replace?
When your AC unit gets damaged, it’s important to ask for professional advice. It will be a smart move to consider some factors before deciding to have it repaired. You have to consider the overall investment costs, the long-term operating costs and the utility rates.
An air conditioner is costly, which means the last thing you want to do is buy a brand new unit. However, fixing an AC unit might not be the best option sometimes. An older AC unit that has undergone multiple repairs should probably be replaced.
Know your service provider and technician
The technician or HVAC expert who is handling your AC unit should be trustworthy and certified. Anyone who works with air conditioning should have undergone proper training and licensing as required by local regulations. The Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC) requires all installers and repair technicians to hold a Refrigerant Handling Licence (RHL).