You’ll be spending a good part of your life inside your home. Admit it, you’re at your most comfortable self when you’re inside your home, which is why as a homeowner, you should strive to make your interiors both cozy and aesthetically pleasing. It might not seem like it, but your interior design choices can actually make or break the mood of your entire home.
Here are cheap and unique interior design ideas for your home:
1. Get rid of unsightly items: Before you start worrying about your budget for your interior design, start with the basics first. Clean your home and get rid of the clutter. This a very simple tip that will only require a small amount of your time and a little hard work but will make a lot of difference!
So go around your home and assess what items aren’t usable anymore. For instance, a broken chair should be disposed of immediately regardless of its sentimental value. Items that don’t serve its purpose anymore are not only eyesores, but they also take away valuable space, contribute to clutter, and collect dust.
Aside from broken furniture, here are others things that you should let go of:
- Old magazines, newspapers, and notes
- Extra utensils and food storage containers
- Furniture and cabinets that only hold junk and unidentifiable items
- Of course, junk and unidentifiable items
- Old, broken, and/or unusable appliances and technology (e.g., a cassette tape player when you don’t have cassette tapes, a cake pop maker that you last used two years ago, an old desktop computer that nobody uses)
- Worn-out curtains and beddings
- Knickknacks and memorabilia
- Anything that does not spark joy
It’s easier to think of your design style when you start on a clean slate. If you don’t know your personal style yet, look online for a guide to defining your interior design style.
2. Paint an accent wall: It’s common to use one shade of paint throughout the interiors of a home – if the living area is painted in cream, expect to see the same in the hallway and master’s bedroom. Bring new life to a room by painting one wall a different color – aka an accent wall.
An accent wall can add aesthetics to a room by breaking up the monotony and flatness of unicolored walls. It can also be utilized as an area to hang all of your favorite art pieces and decorative furniture to highlight them. You have the liberty to do anything with your accent wall.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Prepare your accent wall by cleaning it and applying painter’s tape to define the areas to be painted. Protect your floor and furniture as well by using protection sheets – old newspapers and cardboard work just as fine.
- Use a different color of paint to create an accent wall. For example, if your dining area is painted in white, create an accent wall with shades of red and maroon.
- Choose paints that suit your budget and style preferences. There is a wide variety of paints to choose from, so this task will be very easy.
- Incorporating different textures in your accent wall is also an excellent idea. If your home is painted in hues of blue or green, have a textured wall in orange or brown.
All of your visitors will immediately redirect their eyes to these accent walls the moment they step in your home.
3. Swap out your throw pillows’ covers: Throw pillows provide comfort to the people who are using your living area. But did you know that you can use them to enhance your home’s interior? These pieces may be small, but they can significantly change how a room looks.
Throw pillows that complement the rest of your living area’s furniture and design create a warm and cozy feeling, while those that provide a pop of color create a cheerful and vibrant vibe.
If you already own several throw pillows, replace the covers with your preferred design, arrange them neatly in your living area, and you’re good to go. You can change the covers as frequently as you want to match the – you’re the boss!
These items are very cheap, and you can even customize on your own!
4. Add small accent pieces: Several homeowners want to be updated with the latest trends in home interior design. They’d look for inspiration online that they can implement in their own spaces. If you’re one of them, consider buying small accent pieces rather than buying huge furniture and expensive decor. Here are the advantages of using accent pieces:
- Small accent pieces such as pillows and centerpieces are cheap. For instance, if the current trend is floral, you can buy throw pillows in rose prints and place a vase with fresh roses in your coffee table.
- This option will allow you to have flexibility in your interior decorating style as you can have the liberty to change it whenever you want without breaking the bank. Plus, small accent pieces provides countless options to mix and match.
- Accent pieces may be small, but they can certainly make a huge difference in the ambiance of your home. Just pay attention to its size, texture, and function. You can tap professionals such as MOOD Design + Build to help you out during this process.
The Inside Matters
The exteriors of your home might be the first thing visitors and passersby will notice, but this doesn’t mean that you should completely disregard your interiors. On the contrary, you should spend time working on your home’s interior design because this is where you are staying. By defining your personal style and applying the techniques in this article, your home will look like it’s worth a million bucks!