How to use Incense Burners and Incense Sticks– Step by Step Guide!
Just got yourself a new incense burner?
Don’t know how to use it exactly?
Well, in this article you will learn how to use the incense burner correctly. Let’s discuss what incense is for all the newbies out here; incense is made up of a plant-based material that imparts beautiful fragrance when it burns. It not only creates a beautiful aroma but is very soothing and calming to your mind.
It is often used during meditation and used for spiritual purposes as well. Incense has been used for ages in different cultures throughout history for a variety of different purposes. Incense can have different fragrances based on its type and where your purchase it from. And in case you’re wondering, we’ll cover the how to use incense burner part below, but first, let’s unleash some history.
Types of Incense
There are two main types of incense; indirect and direct burning.
- Indirect Burning – It refers to the type of incense that cannot burn on its own and requires incense burners, charcoal and various other substances. Indirect burning incense typically come in a powder form.
- Direct Burning – It refers to the incense which burns on its own when set alight for about five to ten minutes. They are typically available in the form of cones and coils and are often used in Backflow Incense Burner.
What is Incense Burner?
Incense burners come in all shapes and sizes. The structure and material of the incense burner can vary drastically. They can vary from basic ceramic dishes to silver/gold vessels to firepots and more. Regardless of how it is made, the purpose of the incense burner is simple; to burn incense safely and effectively.
There are certain incense burners that look beautiful and amazing. The other ones are simply made to do their job and are not as aesthetically appealing. You can choose the one as per your choice.
How to use an Incense Burner?
Now, that the basic intro is out of the way, let’s get to the real deal:
How to Use Incense Cones?
You might have seen incense cones floating around in the market and are one of the most popular types of incenses. To burn incense cones, you need specialized modern incense burners which are usually made of clay, sand, stone or metal. The cones have a hole at the base which allow for easy backflow of smoke. You need to light the tip of the cone and blow it out gently before placing it on the burner.
Let’s dive deeper.
- Simply set the incense burner and place it in a room of your choice.
- Crack open the pack of incense cones and take one out.
- Light the tip of the incense cone and blow out the flame gently.
- Place it on the top of the burner were indicated as it allows the proper backflow of smoke.
- If you place it correctly, the smoke will start coming out and your space will turn aromatic in minutes.
How to use Incense Sticks?
Using an Incense stick is simple and easy. All you have to do is light up the end of the incense stick for five to ten minutes, blow off the flame and put the stick on the top of a clay plate. As a result, you will get the ashes. Alternatively, you can also place the stick upright on the holder as it requires consistent airflow. In a matter of few minutes, the smoke from the incense will fill your space.
Benefits of Using Incense
Here are the top benefits of using incense benefits:
- It allows you to relax and unwind. So, burn incense at the end of the hectic day and wind down.
- Incense can help reduce stress and anxiety so make it a part of your daily meditation practice.
- It is known to promote concentration so burn it while you are working on a task that requires extreme focus.
- Burning incense can promote creativity. If you are into painting, dancing or any other art form, you can burn incense and let the creativity flow with the aroma.
- Incense is great for people who are allergic to conventional air freshener sprays.
- Burning incense can be a fire element in your spiritual rituals if you are into manifestation.
- Believe it or not, incense can help you practice mindfulness by allowing you to engage in the moment.
How to Clean an Incense Burner?
Well, for daily cleaning, simply take out the remains of the incense cones and sticks and wipe them off with a paper towel and you will be good to go.
For a deep clean, place the incense burner in a tub of hot water with soap and soak it in for about 10 minutes, scrub any areas if required and dry it with a paper towel.
I hope you learnt how to use and burn incense sticks effectively. If you still have any questions, leave them down in the comments section below and we will get back to you shortly.