Everyone looks forward to summer and spending time outdoors. If you are a homeowner, taking this time to do a few maintenance tasks will help you get ready for summer so that you can enjoy this time with family and friends. Some of these tasks can be done as a DIY. However, it is also a good idea to hire an expert so that you can get the most out of your property.
Here are some of the top fixes that homeowners choose to do to get ready for summer.
Swimming Pool Maintenance and Landscaping
Before summer begins, you want to make sure that your pool and landscaping are ready for summery fun. Here are a few things to consider putting on your list.
- Saltwater pool maintenance
- Revitalise your pool landscaping.
- Check for any cracks or leaks in the liner.
- Make sure your filter is in good working order.
- Repaint any cracked or chipped paint.
- Make sure the ladder and handrails are in good repair.
Deck and Pergola Maintenance
If you have a deck or pergola, they require yearly maintenance to keep them looking new and to protect the wood. Timber deck maintenance usually involves resealing or restaining the wood. Care for a deck and pergola are similar.
- Inspect the structure for any rotten wood.
- Replace any boards or members that are no longer sound.
- Pressure wash the wood to remove any grease or dirt.
- Sand any places that could cause splinters.
- Apply two to three coats of stain or water sealer.
- Make sure all stair treads and handrails are in good shape.
Window Cleaning and Maintenance
Window cleaning allows you to enjoy the view and to make the most of the sunshine. It is also an excellent time to perform aluminium window maintenance and to inspect your windows for signs of wear. Here are the steps to keeping your windows in good repair.
- Clean your windows inside and out.
- Inspect your window frames for any damage, rot, or soft spots.
- Recaulk and repaint the window sills and frames.
High-pressure water cleaning can make your home look like new. Many times, you might not have to repaint when you see what pressure washing can do. Here are a few areas to be sure not to miss.
- Foundation and siding of the house.
- Any chimneys.
- Porches and decks.
- Driveway concrete.
- Hardscape landscaping features.
- Outdoor furniture.
- Outdoor grills and cookers.
- Outdoor play equipment, such as swingsets.
Exterior paint job
The beginning of summer is the best time to give your home a new exterior paint job. New exterior paint colours can give your home a fresh update and make it look like new. Also, painting it will help to protect it and help you to avoid costly repairs later down the line. Here are the steps to do the job.
- Choose your exterior paint colours.
- Calculate how much paint to purchase.
- Get all supplies needed before you start the job.
- Powerwash the exterior of the house.
- Scrape any loose or chipped paint.
- Sand any places that need to be smoothed.
- Apply 2-3 coats of paint, allowing it to dry between each coat.
- Apply a sealant, if recommended by the paint manufacturer.
This is only the most basic list of items that need to be done to keep your home in top shape. You can do many of these items yourself, but some of them are quite time-consuming. Also, you must have the knowledge to do them yourself.
When you consider the time involved, equipment needed, and the time involved, hiring a professional can be the more cost-effective route. If you are pressed for time or do not have the experience that you need to get the job done, then you might want to consider calling in a professional to do it for you. That way, you can get back to planning your summer fun.