3 Reasons Why Keys Break in Locks and When to Call a Locksmith Brisbane
Professional locksmiths encounter the situation of broken keys all the time. There are various reasons why a key breaks off inside the lock. In some instances, you can try to remove the broken key from the lock yourself, however, it is always recommended to search for a locksmith Brisbane if you are stuck in this unfortunate situation. A locksmith around Brisbane has a team of qualified technicians to come to your aid swiftly and professionally.
Primary reasons why keys are breaking in locks
- When a key is old and used daily, which eventually broke due to wear and tear.
- The lock is malfunctioning or faulty due to a lack of care or regular use.
- The individual might have been in a rush and managed to snap the key under physical pressure.
What to do once your key broke off in the lock?
IF this happened to you, you must act quickly. If the door was unlocked when the key broke off, it is a security risk and must be addressed as soon as possible. If the door was locked when the key broke, you are locked out of your car or home. It is not recommended to leave the broken key inside the lock since it can result in permanent damage to your lock. It might be possible for you to remove the broken key by yourself. Here are some tips for doing so:
- Have a look if the key is still sticking out of the lock. It is easier to remove it if a section is sticking out, even if it is just a small portion.
- If a large section of the key is protruding, try holding the key between two fingers to pull it out. Always practice caution when doing this and avoid cutting your fingers on the broken key. You can wear leather gloves for protection.
- If only a small portion is standing out, you might be able to pull it out with some needle nose pliers. Be gentle since you do not want to snap off the remaining portion of the key that is sticking out and leave whatever is left inside the lock.
- If the key is not sticking out from the lock, you can insert a small flathead screwdriver into the lock to attempt removing the key. However, it could do more harm than good. Therefore, we recommend calling a reliable locksmith in this instance.
Replacing locks and keys
If the key breaks off inside your lock, you might require a replacement key. Irrespective if you need a simple key replacement for your home, or you require replacement of an electronic transponder key to your car, a locksmith can assist you. They can also check the lock for any damages and take care of any repairs, installations, rekeying of locks and deadbolts.
How can you prevent broken keys?
If a key seems to be damaged, it is time to discard it. Ensure you have at least one dependable lock as well as a spare. Throw away any keys that appears bent or otherwise problematic. It helps to spray silicone-based lubricant spray into your keyholes about once every six months. This basic step must also be done if you notice any sticking, friction, or grinding when the lock is used.