Good plumbing can have a significant effect on your household, especially when it comes to your family’s health and safety. Experiencing a plumbing disaster or ending up in one can make every homeowner realize the important value of a well-functioning plumbing system. However, this aspect of the household usually lacks maintenance.
In this post, you’ll learn the important benefits of having a good plumbing glossary for your home. In that way, you’ll also be guided on the next steps you need to do to take good care of your home plumbing as a responsible homeowner.
Good Plumbing for Safe and Clean Water
Cross-contamination usually comes from the backing up of wastewater. According to building codes, an air gap or physical separation should exist between connections for all plumbing system features, including those between a water softener drain line and a sewer. Cross-connection occurs without this gap, resulting in backing up of wastewater into the water supply of a home. A local plumbing service can help you install and inspect this plumbing feature to ensure that you get safe and clean water every time.
Here are the possible safety and health consequences of a poor plumbing system:
- Spread of Disease: Health concerns, like the spread of diseases, are inevitable if you have a substandard plumbing system because wastewater is full of bacteria, parasites, and other pathogens. A faulty plumbing system may result in the proliferation of harmful microorganisms and hazardous materials into the environment, which can spread diseases.
- Contamination: Your groundwater, drinking water, and food may get contaminated because of a defective plumbing system, which may take effect not only locally but also to neighboring areas.
- Lead and Toxins: As you probably know, exposure to lead is dangerous. Older homes usually contain lead solder or pipes. That’s why it’s important to have a regular home plumbing system inspection to identify lead levels, most especially in drinking water.
Good Plumbing for Your Convenience
It’s a disaster dealing with hidden leaks and molds due to a faulty plumbing system. A clogged sink, a leaking toilet, or other plumbing problems can cause great inconvenience to everyone in the house. The last thing you’d want to do is deal with a messy toilet, most especially if you need to be early for work.
Over time, minor leaks can develop in your plumbing system, and can eventually grow and pose a greater risk to your home. Because water pipes are usually hidden in walls and under floors, a minor leak becomes undetected, which can lead to serious damage, like mold growth. The flourishing of mold within the hidden areas of a home can lead to dangerous health conditions, such as respiratory problems.
Plumbing and drainage issues can be prevented with annual preventive maintenance. Contact a trusted and reputable plumbing company to perform this task, so repair or parts replacement will be professionally done.
Here are some helpful tips to avoid dealing with major plumbing problems that can lead to great inconvenience and a disaster:
- Fix Leaks: Fixing faucets and showerheads should be carried out immediately because dripping faucets can cost a lot of money due to wasted water. Check the faucet’s handles to make sure that water drips are turned off. Also, check underneath sinks for drips or water stains while the water is running. Neglecting this issue leads to water damage.
- Unclog Slow Drains: A slow flow of water would mean a problem with the drain. You can use a homemade mixture of hot water and vinegar to flush down your drain, unclogging any debris. This can be done every few months, so your drain flows smoothly again.
- Fix Leaky Toilets: Even your toilet is not flushed, it can run because of a faulty seal. The gunk will eventually form around the flapper and valve seat, preventing proper sealing of the flapper, causing the water in your toilet to run continuously.
- Check Your Appliances: All appliances and exposed pipes can be a source of water leaks. Check the manufacturer’s requirements to guide you in maintaining your appliances. Also, inspect for visible signs of water leaks, such as puddles of water or water stains on the ceiling and walls.
Peace of Mind
Maintaining a good plumbing system will give you peace of mind that you’ll continue to use your toilet, sink, and water system without any problem. Also, it will save you a lot of money from costly plumbing repairs.
A good plumbing system is highly beneficial to every home. According to experts from QLD Coastal Plumbing, If you want to have a plumbing system that runs smoothly, make sure to perform professional annual preventive maintenance. A well-functioning plumbing system provides you with the peace of mind in knowing that you have clean and safe water, and your convenience is not compromised.