The social and environmental movement growing in popularity across the world is to live in a tiny house. People are choosing to give their selves the freedom they’ve always craved by reducing their bills and live a minimalistic lifestyle.
Why Live in a Tiny House?
There are several reasons this trend is happening, from financial to people looking to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Reduce carbon footprint. People are doing what they can to reduce their impact on the environment and this is a great way to do so.
- The high cost of living in some parts of the world means people are seeking financial freedom and this will reduce their outgoings considerably.
- Minimalistic living. Reduce all the clutter and just have enough to meet your basic needs.
- Stress-free. Not having to worry about making your rent, mortgage, and other bills will make you feel like a huge weight has been taken off your shoulders.
Where to Begin?
If you’re seriously considering joining the tiny house movement the first thing you should do is research as much as possible.
- Join social media groups for tiny house owners.
- Chat to as many owners as you can and get as much advice as possible
- Ask yourself if this life is really for you.
- Make a list of the pros and cons of living in a tiny house compared to where you’re living just now. What sacrifices will you need to make?
The first step is to find the perfect spot for you to build your tiny dream home. Find out if you need permission to build there by the landowner or local government. Where would you like to live? Completely alone in the wilderness? Close to a city? The choice is yours.
Tiny House Ideas
The internet is full of genius ways people have built their small castle. If you’re still wondering what kind of home you would want to live in, we have put together a few that we think you’ll like.
- Containers. These boring metal rectangles usually found on a construction site can be made into the most dynamic and beautiful homes. They are already waterproof, so you’re off to a good start. Some who have made their homes from containers have even cut the ends off completely and attached them to other ones.
- Treehouse. Yes, a treehouse. You can build the most amazing treehouses that will have you waking up every morning with a bird’s eye view. This is perfect for nature lovers who love nothing more than peace and quiet.
- Converted Barn. Revitalise an old barn in the country and you’re already one step ahead as you have the four walls and a roof. Maybe keep the farm theme running and make some bedding out of hay?
- Sea Shack. Convert an old sea shack and go to sleep every night to the sound of waves. You can open your door every morning and that cool breeze will hit your face. This will be a daily reminder of why you took the plunge (no pun intended) in the first place.
- Underground. Living below the surface has been done for as long as humans have been around, not to mention animals. Today you can have the most amazing dwelling place underground packed full of technology. Not only that you can have an awesome front door, one we saw even had a chute!
If you’ve picked out your perfect spot and your dream home is already built in your mind, it’s time to lay the foundations. Speak to Heaton Manufacturing and they will be able to advise you about their products for the foundation to your new home.
When building a new home it’s imperative you install proper foundations for a long-lasting and stable foundation.