If you love home decorating and want to turn your talent into a profitable business, become an interior designer. Interior design is a creative and fun occupation in which designers successfully transform a house or room from dull to elegant.
If you love the world of decorating and have the skills for it, investing your talent in a profitable business is one of the best options. With this business idea, you can become an interior designer and start making money with it. Interior design is a creative and fun occupation in which designers successfully transform a house or room from dull to elegant. A transformation that renews the environment and also the relationship of each person with their surroundings.
That is why, on this occasion, we will give you a series of tips, steps, and much more information that will allow you to start your own interior design business.
Operation of the interior design business
This business idea consists of offering a service dedicated to decorating spaces. So that the interior designer, the person who is in charge of the activity, according to his knowledge and skills, creates new environments also based on the needs of its customers, including architecture, style, and renovation.
In this process, the professional organizes and distributes the operation of each of the interior spaces in the company of his clients to present them with a designed proposal. All this will also depend on the preferences and budget available.
Starting in interior design
To start any business, whether you want to grow as a lawyer, a consulting worker, essay writer, or interior designer, it is necessary to state the available schedules and consolidate a proposal that will be launched in advertising. Make sure you have the required operating permits.
For the advertising of your business, one of the best strategies to promote a business is word of mouth, a technique that allows you to carry the message of the service you propose efficiently. Don’t forget to offer your services to material stores, bathrooms, kitchens, furniture, lighting, and sign stores.
What license is needed to become an interior designer?
To start your own interior design business, you need a license to develop your work. It is usually a professional or technical degree as an interior designer. Of course, the certification is a requirement of some clients rather than a legal obligation, especially if this advice is offered freely to some clients in the form of a home-based business. In that case, the main requirement will be good taste, as a decorator focuses on the finishing touches, sourcing furniture, draperies, and choosing colors.
Requirements for your interior design business
In this section, we tell you the conditions and requirements you must meet to start:
License: it is usually a professional or technical degree that certifies you as an interior decorator. Of course, certification is a requirement of some clients rather than a legal obligation, especially if this advice is offered freely to some clients in the form of a home-based business.
Studies and knowledge: it is recommended to have studies in interior design or studies in visual arts and knowledge of design theory. To complement your knowledge, you can use online resources and training to keep you updated with trends.
What it takes to get started as an interior designer
- Studies in interior design or studies in visual arts are recommended as knowledge of design theory.
- Relationships and an entrepreneurial spirit are essential to understanding styles, fabrics, and other materials.
- If you have experience in computer-aided design, it can be beneficial when designing spaces.
- You will have to open an office; decorators have more job opportunities in big cities than in small ones. There is more competition but also a greater design culture.
How to get clients as an interior designer?
There are several ways to get clients. Here are some ideas:
- We will have to activate word of mouth, put some advertisements in the press and Internet and offer our services to housing development companies.
- Get in touch with industrialists (painters, electricians, carpenters, etc.) so that they can act as a bridge with the construction sector.
- To offer our services to material stores, bathrooms, kitchens, furniture, lighting, and signage.
- Approach neighborhood stores to propose they renew their decoration. Small retailers are increasingly aware that image attracts customers and differentiates them from the competition. Visiting offices, stores, hotel establishments, and franchises are where most interior design work is being done today.
Advantages of an interior design business
- It is a viable artistic outlet.
- It can attract a wealthy clientele. Rates can range from $60 to $300 per hour.
- The hours are flexible.
- A job well done creates positive word of mouth, essential to building your business.
- Finding discounts on goods can make a higher profit for you and lower prices for your customers. That’s why strong relationships with suppliers should be strengthened.
Disadvantages of an interior design business
- Working with manufacturers and retailers to fix fabrics, furniture and artwork can be time-consuming.
- It is a bit difficult to generate business in the beginning. One advantage for licensed interior designers is that they can build confidence through internships and junior positions in a company.
- Non-artistic aspects of decorating, such as adhering to building code specifications, can sometimes delay a project.