Many people decide to buy outdoor lights for their home to improve security, to increase visibility at night, and to complement the style and color scheme of their interior and exterior living space. If you’re planning to install new outdoor lighting fixtures, know what your options are and determine which of them best suit your outdoor space.
In this article, you’ll learn how to choose the right outdoor fixtures to match your interior design.
1. Take A Look At Your Outdoor Lighting Fixtures Options
If you want your home’s outdoor spaces to match your interiors, start with figuring out what type of light fixtures will work best. It’s hard to find the ones that will match your exteriors if you don’t know what type of lighting fixtures are available out there. There are so many different types to choose from, but make sure that you only purchase your fixtures from reputable sources, like https://washingtonoutdoorlighting.com/landscape-lighting-seattle-washington/ to get the best value for your money.
Here are some great options to consider:
- Solar Lights: You might want to consider installing solar panel lighting, which provides light through the use of a small solar panel for energy-efficiency. This option will be discussed at length below.
- Battery-Powered Lighting: The battery-powered lighting option can be used inside your home as well as outdoors, so it’s a very versatile type of lighting.
- Underwater And Perimeter Lighting: You’ll find different types of outdoor lights, including ones that go under the water and those that illuminate trees and other structures that surround your house.
- String Lights: These lights hang down from trees and provide you with beautiful lighting so you can see into the night from inside your home. You can also think about hanging down lights for your walkway so you can view the flowers in your garden when you’re walking up and down the path.
- Ceiling Mounted Lights: Ceiling mounted lights can help highlight your patio, deck, or landscape and keep the overall ambiance of the space nice and peaceful.
- Chandeliers: You can choose to mount your chandelier on a post, which is a great choice for a patio or deck.
2. Consider The Installation Process
Are you planning to install the outdoor lighting furniture yourself or will you hire a professional? Washington Outdoor Lighting explains the importance of professional installation when it comes to outdoor lighting. It’s a great investment to ensure the safety, security, and proper installation of lighting fixtures.
If you’re planning to take the DIY route, it’s crucial to know the things and tools you need to prepare, the lighting fixture’s compatibility with your electrical system, and placement requirements.
Make sure to take the right measurements and determine the exact size for the fixture. Use measuring tools like a set of yardsticks, a tape measure, or other measuring devices. You can also use a pencil and paper to draw out the area that you’d like to illuminate. If you’re interested installing outdoor lighting, check out this video for your reference:
3. Check Some Design Inspiration Online
A good place to start is to go online and see what kind of outdoor light designs are available. You’ll find a wide range of designs, styles, and prices for these lighting options. Take your time and choose carefully.
4. Consider Your Budget
Choosing the right outdoor fixtures can be hard if you don’t know what you’re looking for. With all the choices available out there, you should be able to find options that go with your budget.
If you’re looking for lighting that is low maintenance, consider low voltage or LED lights. These are available in a wide variety of colors and shapes. They’re quite cheap and provide excellent illumination for any part of the house.
5. Choose Energy-Efficient Lights
Deciding to cover as much area as possible for a safer, more secure, and more beautifully illuminated home can hurt your energy bills. For this reason, it’s important to find ways to install energy-efficient lights, such as solar lighting. Solar lighting is one of the most common types of energy-efficient lighting available today.
Here are some of the crucial benefits of using solar lighting:
- Renewable Energy Source: This type of lighting works by using solar panels that collect solar energy from the sun and transform it into a usable energy source.
- Safe To Use: The solar energy used in the system is stored in a battery to be used at night or whenever there’s no sun. They’re much safer than conventional electrical lights because they’re not flammable.
- Come In Various Designs: There are a variety of colors and shapes to choose from when installing solar lighting. They’re usually hung from the ceiling or outside a building. A solar light can work as an accent lighting or for general lighting purposes.
- Perfect For Hot Summer: Many people like the white illumination of a traditional electric light because it’s easy to spot, but the downside is that it can get quite hot in certain cases. You might want to consider a solar light if you live in an area where the summers are sweltering.
6. Consider The Time Of The Day
Determine if your fixtures will be used during the daytime or at night. The overall look of your home must be considered when choosing outdoor lighting, as well as its overall appeal with lights at certain times of the day. Check these tips when choosing the right outdoor lighting based on the time of the day:
- If you choose to use it during the day, you’ll want to make sure that it has low voltage bulbs so that it doesn’t become too hot.
- Make sure that the lighting will not interfere with your walkway, and that it’s close to your home so you can see where you need to go.
- When you’re choosing outdoor lighting fixture, consider the amount of sunlight that the space will receive during the day. If the area gets enough natural light during the day, opt for fixtures that are more geared for nighttime use.
- At night, it’s important to choose lighting that won’t be too bright because you want to easily see outside without having to worry about getting being blinded by their brightness.
- Also, the best types of deck lighting are not always ideal for outdoor use.
7. Consider The Color Of Light Fixture
When you’re designing your home using lights, pay attention to the colors that you use. Make sure that they match the colors in the light fixtures. For instance, you can match the color of the wall to the light bulbs that you use in the room. This will help ensure that your walls are not being over-lit or under-lit.
Some people like to use the color that represents their personality, while others prefer something that matches the overall theme of their home. You should choose yours according to your taste and the mood you want your home to provide to your loved ones and guests.
8. Create A Good Lighting Plan
A good rule of thumb when you’re designing the exterior of your home with lights to match your interior is to consider where the light will be needed most. Once you know how much light you’re going to need, you’ll be able to put together a good lighting plan. However, bear in mind that the more lights you use, the more expensive it’ll be.
One important factor when you’re trying to learn how to design your house with lights is the way that you hang the lights. This will determine how well the light works and how well it blends with the surrounding area. Ensure that the placement of the lights matches the rest of the lighting in your home. The placement of lights is also important because this will ensure that you’re getting good illumination for your exteriors without being over-the-top or spending too much money.
9. Consider Cleaning And Maintenance
It’s also crucial to consider how easy it is to clean the types of light fixtures you’re planning to buy. One of the biggest problems with most light fixtures is the fact that they often collect dust, dirt, and grime over time. These can clog the filters and bulbs of light bulbs, causing light fixtures to fail more quickly than they should.
If you have a light fixture on the top of your kitchen island, for example, the humidity may damage your expensive crystal chandelier. Floor or desk lamps may also start to show signs of rust. These are all serious problems and you must have them taken care of before they become too big to fix.
Here are some easy tips to help you find out how to clean all types of fixtures and make sure that they look their best:
- Clean the light fixture using a soft cloth and a soft-bristled brush. Start by wiping down the inside of the fixture and gently move upwards to clean the outside of the fixture as well.
- To clean the outer part of the fixture, use a paper towel. Start from the light bulb area and then gradually move on to the exterior of the fixture.
Make sure that you’re getting the right type of lighting for your home’s outdoor spaces. Consider the style of your home and choose the right lighting fixture that will best represent your personality and style.
The other important considerations when choosing outdoor lighting fixtures are their quality, appearance, functionality, and your budget. By having a good lighting plan, it’ll be easier for you to find the outdoor lighting options that perfectly match your interior design.