New Life Custom Home Builders and Home Improvement is a home builder in St. Marys County Maryland
Building a home is one of the biggest dreams for most people and when given the choice between buying a home and building one, many people will gladly choose the latter. When it comes to building a home, several things should come into consideration, one of which is how to go about the process in order to enjoy a guaranteed success. At New Life Custom Home Builders of Southern Maryland, we have handled hundreds of custom home builds, making us experienced personnel with regards to this.
In order to help you avoid making some of the most common errors, we have chronicled for you the process of building your custom home from the ground up.
Starting The Process
When planning on building your custom home, some groundwork items are essential in order to guarantee the success of the project. One of the most important items that you need to have is the lot upon which the custom home will be built. Perhaps you already own a lot, then this makes the process a lot easier. After securing the lot, the next big thing that is essential to the whole project is the availability of a floor plan which mirrors your specific needs and takes into account the size and dimension of the lot you have on hand.
With both steps in place, you are on the right path to getting started with your custom home building process.
Selecting a Custom Home Builder
If you already do not have a custom home builder, you need to be on the lookout for one at this moment. However, it is important to note that the expertise and experience of your choice custom home building company will affect the outcome of the project. This is why you need to select a custom home builder who has a good reputation and has handled several projects of this nature.
When choosing a custom home builder, there are some tips that can help you make the best possible decision and these include:
- Explore your options: It is recommended that you should broaden your search when it comes to selecting a competent company to handle your custom home building needs. To ensure that you make the best decision, it is recommended that you seek advice from friends and colleagues who may have referrals from past contractors they may have worked with. Conduct an internet search and narrow down your options to a few who meet your criteria.
- Narrow down your options: after selecting a few, now comes the hard part of narrowing down the options to make a final selection. As part of this process, take into consideration some important factors like the construction experience the companies have, the quality of work they deliver, their construction process, the price of the services they render, their adherence to a schedule and project timeline, their business standing and reputation, their fit for your personal needs and more.
After having selected the custom home builder, be sure to answer the following questions
- Does the quality of their past work meet your standards?
- Is the company a forward-thinking company with all the right tools and equipment to get the job done?
- Does the company work with subcontractors or they have a team of employees to handle the construction process?
- Are the principals going to be on-site during the construction?
Depending on your unique plan, you may need a realtor to get your custom home off the ground. To ensure that you hire only the best realtors, it is recommended that you follow similar steps when selecting a custom home builder from the multitude of available companies. Chances are high that friends and family members may be of great help in making the best decision.
Finding a Lot
Some start with conceptualizing what they want before seeking out the perfect lot to meet the specific requirements, while others select the lot first and work with it. Whatever choice fits your specific needs, it is recommended that you consider what you want in your custom home as this will ultimately affect the lot size. When you have decided on what you truly need, be sure to work with your builder to ensure that you do not take a regrettable decision.
Select a Floor Plan
After having chosen your desired lot, you will then consult with your builder on the desired floor plan; this is assuming you do not already have one. The builder may present you with a catalog of existing floor plans to choose from and if you are in search of something quite different, you can work with the builder to make certain modifications to existing floor plans or otherwise, come up with a totally different floor plan that suits your lifestyle.
In some cases, you may need to work with an architect or use some of the available online tools to ensure that you get the best options for your dream home.
Securing a Loan
Having put in place everything needed to get your custom home started, you should talk to a loan officer to know how much you can afford and how much you can get towards financing your custom home project. It is recommended that you consult with a couple of professionals in order to get the best loan options on the market for your needs.