Heavy Metal Poisoning at Home: Which are the Most Common Metals to Watch Out for?
There are a number of heavy metals all around us in the environment that can lead to heavy metal toxicity in the blood. The symptoms can range from minor itching and constant fatigue to even fatalities.
Before you decide to take on your next house remodeling project, prioritize the safety of yourself and your family, and go through the following as we discuss some of the most common culprits behind heavy metal poisoning that are found inside our homes.
Lead Poisoning from Paint and Pipes
Lead is by far the most common cause for heavy metal toxicity in blood even today, so learning more about lead safety is not just advised, but more or less a requirement if you work in construction/renovation.
As a homeowner, you should know that any home which was built before the year 1978 in the US is not safe. Lead used to be present in dangerous quantities, within almost all paints manufactured and used before the ban on lead paint was put into motion in 1978. Then, of course, there are the lead pipes which still continue to contaminate drinking water in some parts of the country.
Developmental disorders in children, unexpected weight loss, seizures, mood disorders, hypertension and a whole list of other symptoms are associated with lead exposure, so it’s vital not to take any chances and call in the lead safety experts and make sure that your family isn’t being subjected to continuous lead exposure.
Thallium Poisoning from Old Fireplaces
Admittedly, this one is not as common as it used to be once because thallium is no longer produced in the United States due to its high toxicity. However, if you have an old home where there was a coal-based fireplace, getting thallium poisoning is possible, even if you have not lit a single coal in ages.
Thallium does not breakdown easily and is a primary toxic product that enters the environment when coal is burned. Even stirring ancient thallium dust from that old fireplace can lead to heavy metal poisoning. Fortunately, such instances are extremely rare now inside houses, but it can still be a problem if there’s a coal-smelting plant nearby.
Aluminum Poisoning from Utensils
Stay away from aluminum cookware and utensils because on providing sufficient heat to them, it is possible for some of the aluminum to get into our systems, once the anodized coating breaks. Even deep scratches on the coating can have the same effect. Also, tin foil on food for keeping it warm is a bad idea because it does not even have that anodized coating.
Unfortunately, this is not a complete list; nor are our homes the only places to where we can get heavy metal toxicity. Nevertheless, when you take steps to eliminate all chances of slow or acute metal poisoning from your home, the chances of coming into contact with dangerous elements are reduced by a significant percentage automatically.