Hazards to Be Wary of When Doing Home Improvement
DIY can be an incredibly positive thing. Not only can it save you a small fortune in labour costs but it could give you the impetus to learn a new skill and even help you burn off a few calories. But if you don’t know what you’re doing it can also be quite dangerous. So, if you’re interested in getting in on the DIY craze, there are a few common home hazards you might want to look out for.
Toxins and chemicals
Most cleaning products should have instructions on how to use them safely without compromising your health. However, there are other common toxins to take into account when you’re bashing about the house. Asbestos could be hiding in your walls and is incredibly dangerous. Indeed, it’s been potentially linked to cancer and there are hundreds of asbestos claims being made every year. Of course, small amounts won’t do you any real harm but it’s still something to keep in mind.
The same caution should be taken when working with chemicals, like sealants and spray paints. Always keep you space well-ventilated when using these and if you feel dizzy and nauseous then stop! Then there are the potential toxins in old paint to consider. Older paint is fun of lead so if your home is on the older side and your paint is peeling, get a professional to look at it before going any further. It’s just not worth the risk.
There is very little home renovation work that can be done properly without a decent set of tools but if you don’t know how to use them safely they can end up doing more harm than good. Thankfully, there are hundreds of video tutorials online these days that can give you a good idea how to get started. However, we’d always recommend talking to someone directly who knows what they’re doing first.
Ladders are also a consideration to make. They might seem rather innocuous but the majority of workplace accidents are based around workers falling from ladders. Always test it first and ensure there is somebody else around to spot you.
More top tips
- Always clean up properly when you’re done as the residual dust leftover from DIY work can get into your lungs and cause some real damage.
- Older homes are more susceptible to mould buildup that can be hazardous to your health. So be careful and watch out for it.
- If you do find asbestos in your home, don’t touch it! You’ll need a specialist to do that safely.
- Never forget that the biggest risk is always going to be human error. Nine times out of ten, all accidents can be avoided by simply paying attention and taking your time.