Understanding the problem
- Carpet cleaning is typically taken for granted by both homeowners and office managers in which, after a few years, the carpet loses its original beauty often assumed as due to fading instead of embedded dirt and stains.
- Most people are unaware that dirty carpets can impede airflow inside the home or office. When you smell something unpleasant or musty in a room, this usually means that the carpet is clogged with dirt.
- For those homeowners who vacuum their carpets and upholsteries regularly, people might wonder as to why the carpet looks old and worn out even when it is not exposed to high foot traffic. This is attributed to the fibers matted of dirt and dust build-up. When the fibers feel flat and rough, vacuuming won’t improve the carpet’s looks.
- Additionally, vacuuming does not remove dust mites, bacteria, and allergens. When these particles accumulate, they can trigger skin allergies and cause health problems particularly on children and the elderly.
- Meanwhile, homeowners who traditionally use soap, shampoos, and detergents to clean carpets repeatedly rinse it with hot water and then dry it under the sun. However, a sticky residue remains, eventually becoming a dirt magnet.
- Molds usually grow in carpets that have not been dried thoroughly. Moisture is trapped by the backing under the carpet. There are home remedies suggested in removing molds in carpets such as vinegar. However, vinegar does not effectively eliminate all mold species. And once the mold has reached the carpet backing, it will be a lot more difficult to treat.
This is where the hot water extraction carpet cleaning technique comes in which makes carpet cleaning more efficient, effective and highly reliable than other known methods. Hot water extraction makes sure that the carpet is 100% dry, clean and fresh, thus eliminating dirt, stains and mold build-up. It significantly eliminates health risks such as allergens, bacteria, and dust mites, ensuring that the carpet is clean for a longer period.
What is the hot water extraction carpet cleaning method?
To put it simply, this is a method where hot water and cleaning agents are combined and then injected to the carpet fibers using high-pressure machines. The truck-mounted carpet cleaning machine has an electrical resource to heat water and provides power to a water pump and vacuum. The machine typically has two chambers – a solution tank that contains clean water and detergent, and a recovery tank where the dirty water extracted from the carpet goes into. The high-pressure vacuums do a better job of extracting water and dirt particles due to their consistent heat and suction.
The cleaning process
Carpet cleaning starts with pre-conditioning or spraying of cleaning solution or detergents to agitate the carpet fibers and facilitate the removal of embedded dirt, dust and stains. When the carpet is severely soiled, professional carpet cleaners often use a grooming or pile brush that is run back and forth through the fibers after the appropriate dwell time. For large expanses of carpets, an electric agitation machine with attached brushes will be used.
After the maximum amount of moisture has been extracted, the carpet will be checked for any remaining stains. Stubborn stains due to oil, grease, and blood that cannot be easily removed will require additional treatment. Drying time lasts for 2 to 4 hours but there are instances when turbo dryers are used to speed up drying.
Why is hot water extraction superior to other carpet cleaning methods?
One of the best benefits of this method is the fast drying time. Carpet cleaning through the hot water extraction method is friendlier to the environment compared to other cleaning options like carpet shampooing because only small amounts of water and detergent are used. Plus, the detergents are often biodegradable which won’t do any harm to the environment upon wastewater disposal.
Carpet care tips
- Do not wait for the carpet to be extremely soiled before vacuuming. Carpets in entrances and high traffic areas must be vacuumed twice a week. Carpets inside rooms can be vacuumed weekly to maximize their usable life.
- Avoid the application of stain removals even if they are advertised as effective. They very rarely work and often do damage to the carpet fibers. Stains can be blotted using a clean towel and water. Do not scrub the stains because they will spread and eventually ruin a wider area.
- Spills must be mopped as soon as they occur. Red wine can cause a menacing purple stain that can sink deeper into the carpet. Instead of treating stains with harsh and harmful chemicals, call the professional carpet cleaners to do the task.
- Carpets can be applied with stain protectors that block stains and protect the carpet from dirt. Cleanup will be easier because stain protectors force liquid to the surface and prevent them from being embedded into the fibers.
Most carpet manufacturers recommend hot water extraction in cleaning carpets. The process may differ depending on the machines and techniques used. To make sure that you are dealing with the right carpet cleaning company, understand how hot water extraction works and why it is more suitable than other methods.