The choice of the type of glass that should be placed in a window or in a door depends on the needs and benefits provided by each of the materials that are made. After you decide that it is the time for new window installation in your home. It is important to choose the right type of insulation according to needs. Modern window insulations are categorized by their thermal, acoustic, luminosity, energy saving, and safety properties.
Today we will give you a brief overview of each kind so that you can possibly choose the right type of windows insulation as well as crystals in your new windows frames.
Technology in the window making industry has never been more developed. Today we are provided with professional service in window replacement with companies like Davis Window & Door that can replace every window and door in our home and advise us with just the kind of windows that we need. Still, if you want to do some research on your own here is some information that might be of great help before you decide to finally cut those bills with energy saving.
Different Types of Insulation:
The thermally insulated windows ensure that the interior temperature of the home is optimal, since the sun’s rays directly affect the glass, converting it into heaters. This decreases the use of heating sometimes even up to 50%!
The acoustic insulation will prevent people inside your building from hearing the noises coming from the street and vice-versa. It decreases the overall noise coming from all exterior factors.
Some glass when broken is made in the form of microcrystals, which prevents personal injuries and makes them more resistant to theft. This kind of insulation is the best choice if you are looking for one with safety properties.
On the other, there are smoked, translucent, opaque, transparent or matte crystals that serve to adapt the house with sunlight. The luminosity insulation is one of the favorite choices according to the most windows replacement companies.
Note that the choice of the proper window insulation is as important as that of the crystals. The good results when placing a window are achieved through professional and skilled work. The installation must be perfect to obtain optimal results, where there is no leakage of water or air, and the insulation is perfectly installed.
Different Types of Crystals
In the market, different types of window glasses are known to have different properties according to their characteristics. Here are some of them:
- Simple or monolithic glass: They are the simplest and least recommended for installation in an exterior window because they are not insulated and are of low quality. They allow the maximum transfer of solar energy and its thickness is usually 4 mm.
- Laminated glass: It consists of two or more layers of glass. It’s safe because PVB sheets are interposed in its structure that provides resistance which helps the isolation and security of your home.
- Tempered glass: It has great mechanical resistance and thermal shocks, so it is recommended as a great choice for exterior installations. It also provides security in its use because it is a strong crystal and impact resistant. When it breaks, it does so in small, irregular fragments.
- Matt glass: Used especially for interior windows because it gives a distinctive touch thanks to its matte finish that prevents fingerprints from being printed in these spaces hence providing a better appearance. It is a key element of the most innovative and demanded designs in interior decorations because it gives an elegant notion.
It is manufactured from a high-quality float glass that after an acid treatment achieves a surface that fades with light and transforms it into a transparent material.
- Floated glass: It is the most used in homes. It could be said that about 90% of the world’s flat glass is manufactured by means of this process invented by Alastair Pilkington in 1950. Its composition makes it a tough of high quality for not so high production cost. It is obtained from vitrifying mixtures such as silica, fluxes such as alkaline substances and stabilizers such as lime. It has a standard thickness of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 12, 15, 19 and 22 mm.
- Low emissivity glasses (also known as “Low-e”): It is a great thermal insulator that allows a large amount of light to pass through. Provides energy efficiency and bright sunshine to your home or garden.
- Double glazed glass with a film: It is a glass consisting of two crystals separated by a hermetically sealed dehydrated air chamber that generates thermal insulation. The air chamber reduces the transfer of heat between the outside and the inside. The thicker the crystals, the greater the insulation will be.
Within this type of glass there are different models that are:
- Laminated or safety double glazing: Added between the crystals PVB sheets that give resistance and elasticity. The recommended thickness is 4 + 4-12-4 mm.
- Double glazing with acoustic treatment: It intersperses between two glazing’s, one or more 1 mm polyvinyl butyral sheets. The recommended thickness is 4 + 4-12-6 mm.
- Double glazing with solar control: It contains a metallic layer that reflects sunlight avoiding the heating of the house. The recommended thickness is 4-12 / 16-4 mm. It is ideal so that the sun does not damage the furniture and does not pass the ultraviolet light.
- Double glazing under emissivity: It has a sprayed layer usually square on one side of the glass that prevents the transmission of energy. For this reason, it contributes to energy saving since it achieves an insulation coefficient equivalent to a brick wall of more than 30 cm. The thick recommended is 4-12 / 16-4 mm.
- Triple and quadruple glazing: Add more layers of crystals to improve the thermal and acoustic properties.
Knowing the right type of glass for your needs before the major window replacement in your home will nevertheless be of great help before you decide to pick the phone and call the windows replacement company. Be advised that asking them about any doubts and concerns will provide you with all the answers needed so that you can make the moments spent in your home even more enjoyable.